After two years of F2 regulations grand prix racing returned to F1 regulations for the 1954 world championship. The new regulations allowed for 2.5 litre naturally aspirated and 750 cc supercharged engined cars. Ferrari modified their 1952-53 World championship winning 500 F2 car by boring out the cylinders and lengthening the stroke of the four cylinder engine, renaming it the Ferrari 625 F1. The same Webber side draught carb’s fed the cylinders were twin sparkers resided. Two valves per cylinder were operated by twin overhead camshafts, giving a  maximum power rated at 250 bhp at 7,200 rpm. Little else changed from the F2 500. Minor chassis enhancements did not help the 625 in 1955, leaving it basically out paced by the Mercedes and Maserati contenders. The team still coaxed the 625 to two wins, the first Ferrari F1 win by Froilan Gonzales in the 1954 British GP and the other an equally famous win By Maurice Trintignant at Monaco in 1955 The car was campaigned alongside the 553 Squalo and 555 superSqualo until finally being replaced by the Lancia Ferrari D50 for 1956

   The 1955 Monaco grand prix, 100 Laps of the 3.145 km city circuit, was dominated by Mercedes, Fangio and Moss....But not when it counted. Fangio took pole position and set fastest lap in the race, but failed to finish due to transmission trouble. Moss, as ever baking Fangio up, took the lead only for his Mercedes engine to blow on lap 80. Ascari (who had matched Fangio’s pole time, but not in an official timed session) then took the lead until he misjudged the chicane and launched his Lancia D50 into harbour. That passed the lead to Maurice Trintignant who was steadily driving his Ferrari 625, a car that was otherwise uncompetitive, who hung on to scored his first Formula One race win, and the first for a French man at Monaco too!.

   This was the last Grand Prix appearance for Alberto Ascari. He was killed four days later testing a Ferrari sports car at Monza.

                                                                    1/43rd scale kit.

                                                                         Built by Ian.

    Ian built this model straight from the box around 2003. It is a nice kit for the era just needing a wash of thinned matt black to bring the wheels to life. Halfords acrylic car spray paints took care of the main body colour while citadel acrylic paints and inks were used for the detail painting.

    Francesco De Stasio established FDS automodelli in 1973. His was the first company in Italy to produce handcrafted 1/43rd scale Models, initially from white metal but later from resin as well. The kits may seem rather simple by todays standards but were perfectly acceptable back in the 1970s, infact the chromed wheels and rubber tyres were a very nice touch. FDS was quite successful on the continent and the FDS kits have become historic today. Francesco's passion for the Alfa Romeo led him to specialise in Alfas with his new company, "ALFA MODEL 43", set up in 2003. The emphasis remains on getting the best value and balance between detail and fair prices.